Commissioned by the american mercedes company of new york in june 1923. This 28/95 short "targa florio" chassis example is fitted with the three-seater style sports body. It was sold to its first owner, reginald l. Brooks of new york city, in september 1924 and subsequently to a franklin le varre, also of new york, in november 1928. The mercedes "targa florio" took its name as a result of the successes of the class winning chassis in the famed race event in 1921 and 1922. Powered by a six-cylinder, 7.2-litre aircraft-type engine, that was the most potent engine of its day, the 28/95 mercedes was the evolutionary forerunner to the famed mercedes of the late 1920's. Fitted with the preferred zenith carburetor option, rudge-whitworth wheels, four wheel brakes, and instruments and controls in english, the car was the subject of an extensive and historically accurate restoration in the late 1960's. A prized member of just three private collections for most of the past fifty years, the car has received awards at aaca grand national events and two first place honours at pebble beach. Most recently it was in collection of nbc radio orchestra band-leader and mercedes collector, don ricardo. This multiple award-winning car has been meticulously maintained and cherished. Tools and books.